Saturday, August 18, 2007

Meetings


Have you been to demotivators.com? You must go if you have not. I find it to be one of my most favorite mind diverting places. I get to reading all the funny comments which are funny but so true. I get a little gloomy and I love to pop over there and read things like Customer Care: If we really cared about the customer, we would send them someplace better. Defeat: For every winner there are dozens of losers. Odds are that you are one of those. Meetings: None of us is as dumb as all of us. This is a profound truth. It should be placed over every conference room in America, just as a word of warning. Abandon thought, all who enter here is another possibility. I heard a speaker say once concerning commercials on television that often after watching one she thinks, I am dumber now. I think that following almost every meeting I have ever attended, I am dumber now.

Today is a meeting day. We are discussing things of importance, we really are. Only after an hour or two I am done with meeting, I think it's all silly and people talk on endlessly. They probably are saying valuable things but it has become all blah, blah blah to me. Or just like Charlie Brown's teacher, Wah, wah wah wah, Wah. I have gone to other places in my mind. I am to the point of doodling, and every once in awhile I look up and realize they are waiting for me to comment. I have no idea what I am supposed to comment on. I think this is evidence of the dumbness over taking my brain.

Why do we do this? Why do we sit together in a room and become talking heads until no one could possibly benefit from this???? Why do we all have so much to say. Why is it so hard to listen to everyone say all that they feel led to say. The answer is, I don't have a clue.

I used to have lots to say about everything. I used to need to tell someone my every thought. I used to believe if I knew it, it was my job to tell somebody, anybody. I no longer have this sense of obligation, need or urgency. I now feel like if I got it, anyone who wants to do so can. If God wants them to know he will clue them in. All that stuff about one sick man bringing another to the great physician is no doubt true. Still if they are sick enough they will find the Great Physician, and if they want details I will share what I know. I am just out of the hunting down and sitting on folks to tell them. I think that was making me dumber too. Guarding brain cells is becoming a priority for me. That, and I realized that I sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher too.

The demotivator for stupidity says this: Quitters never win, Winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots. Let this be a word of warning.

No comments: