Friday, August 31, 2007

The cost of cool


Its been mighty hot at my house the past week. Actually, it has been very hot outside of my house as well, all of Kentucky is melting. But it's the inside my house that has been bothering me the most. That glorious invention, the air conditioner, has not been functioning propertly at the home place. This is a major problem and after a week of waiting and investigating and smelling funky, a new air conditioner has been installed. Thank heavens.

We have suffered greatly, our friends and coworkers have suffered greatly as have innocent bystanders as they have had to smell us and listen to us whine. We tried to endure as troopers. We said it wasn't too bad. We are all gone during the day in air conditioning at work and school so we have places of reprieve. We ran the attic fan at night and sucked in outside cooler, wetter air and then woke up with moss growing on our toes. I think that's when I fell off the wagon and just got to be a big whiny baby. Even I couldn't stand me.

Repair people are in great demand. I feel for them, everyone wants them yesterday, no one wants to wait and everyone thinks their job is the top priority. However, I did want them yesterday, I was very tired of waiting and my coolness ought to be every one's priority. Unfortunately I let the husband call and apparently they didn't understand it was for me and wait I did, day after day after day. Finally when they came it was to say it couldn't be fixed. This was bad news. It would take thousands to replace. This was very bad news. It would have to be ordered and I could have it Tuesday. This was a complete disaster.

God intervened in the form of a church member and the new unit went in today and I am basking in the glory of a cool house and a new unit that will take my grocery money for some time to come. This has been a serious refresher course in how much I take for granted stuff like being cool and comfortable. I cannot remember one time this entire summer when I woke up and said, thank you God for a cool house. I certainly mentioned more than a hundred times how sad I was to be in a warm one.

All this reminds me of the bad old days when I had no washer and dryer and had to go to the laundromat. This is certainly a fast way of getting your clothes done, but it's sort of a world of it's own and I dreaded going to wash clothes. When I got my first washer and dryer I was so grateful to be able to wash clothes at home I swore I would never complain about it again. That was a long time ago, and I have forgotten laundromats. Now I want a bigger washer, two dryers and I am complaining again about laundry. This is a great time for me to stop and remember just exactly how much I have and give thanks.

And it's much easier to do now that the house is cool.

No comments: