Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Complaint Department


I studied the book of Philippians a few years ago with a great Bible study group. Good interesting mix of people, most dedicated to digging deep. We did a Precepts study which for those uninformed folks is a word by word, verse by verse, draw little symbols in colored pencil kind of in depth Bible study. One day when I arrived a little late six weeks or so into study, our leader said we are in Philippians and all I could think to respond back was...still? By the time we were done, I knew Philippians. I might have forgotten some of it over the years but I remember lots. Many may argue the value in Precept studies, I am not willing to attack or defend, just say I learned a lot.

One of the least favorite passages in Philippians was Chapter 2:14 where Paul requests that we Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe . I find this is much better when it is advice to others rather than personal application. It is hard to do anything without complaining or arguing, let alone everything. All of Chapter 2 is a challenge to me in many ways. Yet I wish very much to follow Christ's example. Oh my, the circular arguments that are already starting in my head.

It is not difficult to put others before me, consider their interests first, be like minded and of the same purpose when it is apparent to me they are attempting to do likewise, when they are older or weaker or even less mature in the faith. I can generally suck it up, endure and keep smiling. I wont promise I don't complain. I do try not to complain, mostly because I think it is so whiny, but sometimes I do. It is those folks who think I ought to put them first, who pay not the slightest amount of attention to anything happening outside of their line of vision, who have the only needs worth addressing that I can neither keep from complaining about and arguing with or consider them higher than myself. I have no wish to be of one mind, one spirit, one love with such beings and a very real part of me feels that I need not.

I can hear the argument in response, in fact I can make it. Christ did not empty himself and become nothing for our sakes because we were worthy. He did not endure abuse and suffering and death on the cross because he judged our attitudes to be correct and our hearts in tune. As a sidebar, I think Jesus might have complained a little. He seemed to get awfully tired of the disciples from time to time and wondered if they were ever going to catch on. That thought aside, there is no doubt he was a willing sacrifice because the Father asked him be. The prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane is certainly not s prayer of complaint, but there is no arguing that Jesus is clearly praying that if there could be another way, he would like to take it. This offends some people but it so much encourages my heart. Jesus in my view approaches the throne of the Mostly Holy God and states what he wants, and submits to what the Father wills. Oh to have this kind of faith.

So having blown my position out of the water, how do I come back to reclaim it? Well, I can't of course, but I can say this. There is a time to submit for the good of others and a time to stand firm for the good of others too. Sometimes it is more loving to tell someone no than it is to support negative and sometimes harmful behavior. Do we really want to tolerate or encourage other members of Christ's body to behave badly? Don't we have some responsibility to be wise about who's purpose and spirit we become one with? How do we treat others as better than ourselves when we cannot support their actions?

I think the answer to that is complex. I think I often feel I need to correct a behavior my Father is not at all ready to have corrected by me. I think I am quick to judge others and I think my attitude is not at all like Christ's. In fact I am not willing to be poured out, I demand to be filled up. Yet, I believe there are also times where I am called to stand, to speak the truth in love, and trust God will weave together the brokenness in me, and in my brothers and sisters as a result. The only way I think we know the difference is by sitting quietly at God's feet, telling him what we want, then submitting to his will.

I guess while I am sitting quietly, I might quit arguing and complaining so much. I might even practice turning the other cheek, going the extra mile, giving up my coat and my cloak. I might discover becoming pure and blameless and shinning like a star will delight me in ways complaining and arguing never have. I think the star thing will work for me. Now if the rest of you could just get your acts together.

No comments: