Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Kentuckisms


I live in Kentucky. I haven't always lived in Kentucky but I have now for twelve years and I am becoming an adopted native. I don't speak like I am from Kentucky, though my family in Pennsylvania thinks I do, Kentuckians are quick to assure me I do not. I will admit that I can translate fairly well now when I am in mixed company. For example, at the never ending meeting, I jumped right in to explain when one person said they "didn't care to do that" it really meant they didn't mind doing whatever the job might have been. I remember that threw me for a loop the first year or two when I was there. I would ask for something and be lost when I was told that they didn't care to do something. Actually, the correct terminology in Kentucky for this state of being is, "I was as lost as an Easter egg".

If you don't remember the details of something, the correct response is, "remind me what we said, I have slept since then". I have found this expression very handy when I didn't really want to comment on something or commit myself. By the time they have brought me up to speed again, I am usually prepared with some response. And if I am not, or I don't want to get involved, then I say, "I am sorry, I don't have a dog in that fight." I think if you examine that one too closely it's very icky, so I would stick to the surface there, if I were you.

In Kentucky all carbonated beverages are coke. Once you are asked if you want a coke, almost always you will be asked what kind. I was very confused by this my first year here. I always felt I should think of some exotic kind of coke. I finally settled on diet coke as a good answer and now have an addiction problem. Trying to reign in the diet coke thing, but not having amazing success.

When people are in a bad mood they are said to be ill. Only if you are a country girl you say "eel". Sam's year in kindergarten was filled with weekly stories of Miss Janet and her threatening to get "eel". I can see her wearing it around her neck now as she teaches. It's great visual imagery. I can certainly see where a class of 20 five year olds would make you wish for a large scary monster to wear around your shoulders as discipline.

One of my favorite early days stories was the dental hygienist who asked me if I was 'locking it' in Kentucky. I keep asking her what she was asking, what did she want to know. Finally after several other attempts that resulted in more kentuckisms and several rounds of charades, she finally communicated to me that she wanted to know if I was enjoying living in Kentucky. If I was liking it here. I had never had anyone ask me if I was liking something. Since then I have really enjoyed the expression, are you liking your job, your family, your church are all excellent questions. Some days I am liking them, some days I am not liking them.

My son played soccer and got on a traveling competitive team the spring after we arrived in Kentucky. His coach was a good soccer player himself, and a very good coach. He taught the kids excellent skills and yelled encouragement when they did good stuff on the field. Only, I didn't know that was what he was yelling. I heard him yell Tim's full name often, which in my experience is not usually a good thing. Then he would say something like "naaaawwwwwwse". I had no idea what that was. I thought it might be a soccer term, kind of like far post. I couldn't figure out what that one was either. It took me several seasons to learn far post wasn't a code word, they just wanted the kids to shoot cross field. But "naaaawwwwwwwse" wasn't a soccer term. It translates as "nice" and was meant to encourage my child to repeat a move. I don't know if my child fully appreciated that, I can only tell you his mother didn't not.

For all of the interesting terminology, let me tell you my favorite. I love that in Kentucky you may say anything you want about someone as long as you follow it up with "bless his/her heart". You can also start with this phrase if you know what is to follow will be slightly insulting or, at times, very insulting. Blessing someones heart seems to cover any sting they might have felt in being spoken of in less than endearing terms. I know this isn't a perfect system but it's better than just saying ugly things, and it probably keeps you from dwelling on them too. It's very handy, I like to bless people's hearts.

I am no longer a stranger in a strange land, though the land is still strange at time. I have learned the language and I have learned to love the people and the lifestyle. I still move much too fast for most of the folks, and I certainly talk too fast, but I do appreciate their measured pace and gentle spirits. I appreciate their involvement with each other, and the way they go the extra mile to help one another out. And I love that they have adopted my family and me. I didn't know I was going to fit in so well in Mayberry, but this city girl is getting pretty comfy in these country ways. I don't think I will ever understand grits or the need to cook green beans until they are no longer either green or beans, but it isn't at all bad. In fact, it "might could" be just fine.

No comments: