Friday, August 17, 2007

A little help from my friends.


We had a crisis in the church family. One of our kids was injured in an accident and was airlifted for help. It was a frightening time, wondering the extent of the injuries, dealing with the time lag and waiting for information. There was no lack of faith, just the stressful feeling of the unknown. The injuries were serious but not life threatening. There are long days of recovery ahead but there is every reason to believe it will be complete.

I learned a little in the midst of the crisis about taking care of one another. It was a very natural response to extend help, it happened time and time again. In every way the body reached out to be a part of the support team to help the part that was in need. No one had to tell them it was time to do so, they knew and responded. I was inspired by the outpouring of love and concern. My cell phone was overwhelmed, the batteries were dead before breakfast. It was very good to see the community behave as the Body of Christ.

I also noticed that this response is only part of the equation. While the Body was motivated to respond, I noticed that the member in crisis is sometimes very uncomfortable in accepting the outpouring of love. This difficulty in allowing others to help us in some way actually creates a barrier and the body fails to function as it was designed. Frustration results as the giver is not accepted and the intended receiver closes down and cannot absorb the love expressed. The failed connection creates distances and hard feelings that are hard to address and resolve.

My sympathies go to both parties. I have been a very frustrated giver many times. You offer to help and you cannot get a taker. Sometimes I will admit it is a good thing to offer help and be politely turned down. Still, when you want to be of help and no one will let you, it's frustrating. I have also been in the receivers position and I can hear myself turning down help I needed. I think it has made me feel needy or vulnerable at times, both of which are true but I like to pretend they are not. I guess I am realizing that when I deny the need for help, which is obvious, I not only fail to receive a blessing, I fail to give one.

I pray daily to be a blessing to someone. I failed to realize that sometimes that happens not because of what I give, but by what I receive.

No comments: