Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Aha Moment


I saw a bunch of boys yesterday run with great determination to take a round orange ball and put it in a basket. They were all sizes and shapes. They had various skills and none were stand outs. Those who were taller had a huge advantage and the shorter guys had to hope for speed and lucky shots. Some of the shots were amazing, some were comical, a couple that should have gone in but didn't were painful. The boys ran hard and for the most part completely enjoyed themselves. A couple terse words when a pass was missed, a shot didn't make it, a man open stayed open. The next play the action went on the frustrations forgotten, the boys happy again. Oh that life was like that.

One young man who at nine looks much more like a line backer than a basketball player had some frustrations. He tried to get the ball to people who didn't catch it. He was guarded by some big guys he could not shoot around. He was fast and a fair ball handler but the opposing side was faster and took the ball from him more often than not. He kept right on going but was sometimes hard pressed not to sit down in protest. He was trying very hard and I was impressed with his perseverance. Somewhere close to the end of the game he got the ball, drove through the other players and shot a beautiful basket. He turned to look at whoever he had with him as it to say, finally. I know that feeling!

I watched him a lot. He was on the other team but somehow he attracted my attention, perhaps because he wanted to do well, was fighting to do well, and wasn't doing well. I can tell you that after it all came together, when everything finally fell into place, no one appreciated it more for him, outside of his parents, than me. I have no crystal ball and I don't know whether he grows into a basketball player or not, but I don't think the lessons he is learning will be lost. He knows what he wants, he knows sometimes you don't get it but you never will if you quit. He will go on going after what he wants. I hope he chooses well, I suspect he ends up with what he wants.

I think I end up with what I want too. I have the drive and the passion and the tenacity to hang in there. Now I need to be sure what I want has eternal significance and is worth having in the end. It's all about God and building the kingdom in the end...

No comments: