Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Radiance Returns


The sun shone on my senior trip. This is above all a blessing because there is nothing worse than a field trip in the rain. Okay, yes there is. The field trips where Little Bunny FooFoo's twin sister Bunny Chatter goes along for the ride. True to form Bunny Chatter was first to hop into place. You must admit this about those bunnies. They are faithful. I have yet to attend a meeting or take a field trip or have a luncheon without one of their notable family members along for the ride. Wish I could remember all of the clan members names. Where is a family tree when you need it?

But I digress. This is all about sun. It is all a happy dance kind of moment when we celebrate the return of the sun and the sun's warmth. It has been gone for a very long time. It has visited of course, it's nice to have a good visit. But as far as warming or refreshing or renewing the blood flow through my body, it's now officially back. It's not that it's all that warm yet, it just feels much more like it means to get warm. I am not all that touchy feely by nature and I usually need more of a commitment than that, but for today I am settling for a perceived intention.

I saw the sun reflecting on the water. It was absolutely marvelous, radiant twinkling sparkling sun, in and on and through the water and I caught my breathe and felt renewed hope. I was standing in the carefully restored living space of the oldest building in our community looking out on the river and I felt like I was in another world. It was nice to feel like you are completely stepping out of the world around you for a bit. The sun was lighting up the water as it has done for countless years and it was nice to think would go on doing so. Our moments are short and the sun will go on. I guess until the day God turns it out, which is after all what He does with us.

Today with feet up on the recliner and the misty kind of feelings you get when you are just allowing your mind to wander. I am remembering the red maple that would begin to look slightly pinkish and then very red and then almost on fire. Or the long row of dogwoods lining both sides of the street when, in full bloom, made you feel that you had entered an enchanted garden. Or the morning I discovered quite at random that a previous homeowner had loved azaleas and my yard was full of a delightful array of reds and purples. The first weeks of warmer weather when your shorts wash side by side with your sweats, your gloves, your fuzzy socks. Now I am thinking of being in school, ripping off our coats and assuring each other how very hot we were only to have a parent, any parent they changed through the years, say 'It's really not that warm. You only think that because it's been so cold." Yes, of course I have said it. What would the point of tradition be if it were not repeated.

Welcome back sun. I was told today that we appreciated it more after it's absence. I am sure there is truth to this. However, it would be nice if it's absence could be briefer. No belly aching today though. It would be rude and ungrateful.

No comments: