Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Gift




My friend has a babysitter. This is not all that remarkable as my friend also has children and works full time. But my friend and her babysitter are without children this week. This created a problem for my friend. Did she tell her babysitter she didn't need her and risk losing her to several other of my cutthroat, always looking for excellent childcare friends, or did she try to find other things for her to do to keep her busy. She went with option B and called me and asked if I had things her babysitter could do to stay busy. Do I have things her babysitter could do to stay busy! My goodness, where does one begin!

This precious angel arrived this morning looking like a million bucks. She is delightful to look at and is as sweet as they come. She smiles and her eyes dance and best of all, she is both hard working and more than competent. How on earth does one say thank you for this gold mine?!

By 2:00 pm today, she had printed and separated door hangers for an upcoming community outreach event, printed and cut several hundred prayer card requests and inserted them into seat pockets, and printed and posted 4 large posters advertising our "Got your Rock" campaign. She took a rough draft of a calendar for August and created a poster for the bulletin boards, stripped the bulletin boards and redesigned the titles. She opened, stuffed and neatly stacked 108 backpacks which will be distributed to the first 100 children who attend the community outreach event. She was even motivated to climb into our children's closet, a scary job for the most hardened veteran, and find a number of items to cover a shortfall for the backpacks. And she does all this with a minimum of direction, a never ending smile, and a delightful twinkle when you are stunned with her productivity. The girl is an angel and I wish to adopt her and keep her forever.

My friend called this evening. She isn't sure she can use the babysitter all day tomorrow. Do I have more that she can do. Honey. Do I have more that she can do. You betcha.

God, I know you have heard from me on all those days when I have been overwhelmed and out of control, stressed and short tempered, felt hopeless and helpless. You have carried me in those moments and we have survived, battered and beaten but upright. Help me remember days like today in those days of trial. It was a golden day, a delightful gift and a glorious blessing. And bless that sweet girl with the radiance of your love, and the knowledge that today she has been a source of your amazing grace.

No comments: