Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sliding In


We are in the midst of defrosting from an ice storm. We got ice first, snow afterwards and it made for a royal mess. We have more snow equipment now than when I arrived in Kentucky more than ten years ago. I can remember the first year here when a little snow, blowing across the road was a big problem. Born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA, I know how to do snow. I know how to do ice too, you stay home! I know when you are sliding you are supposed to turn into the slide and there was a time when I didn't even have to think about it, I just did it naturally. I am out of practice now. I wonder if the instincts would kick in.

Yesterday, after the main roads were cleared, I went into work, taking Mr. Sam along since schools are still closed. We had no troubles getting in until we hit the church parking lot. It was solid ice and would have been funny had I not wondered how we were going to get from the car to the building. My car has all wheel drive and I have always been impressed by this but never used this feature until we hit the parking lot. It came in very handy then!

Our policy is to park away from the building and allow visitors to take the spaces closer in. I violated this policy with no guilt whatsoever. I would have driven up to the door but with all the ice, I thought it entirely possible the car would slide right through the door. While this would have solved my walking on ice dilemma, I suspected the trustees would be vocal about a car in the hallway. They are mighty particular.

Mr. Sam and I began the cautious journey into the building. It was less than 15 feet. It took about three hours. Okay, that is an exaggeration, but we were taking baby steps followed by a lot of 'ohhhhh's as we slid and lost footing and giggled at our slow progress. I could see the news feed. Women breaks leg in icy parking lot, trustees say it was her own darn fault. I suppose it would have been.

When I feel out of control, I have the same kind of reaction going on in my head and my tummy. Regardless of the circumstance, it's a very uncomfortable feeling to be unable to take a sure step, to feel that the ground I thought was secure is sliding away from beneath me. It isn't often due to ice, it is much more likely to be a new situation, a problem I thought I had resolved, a matter of faith. When control goes and I am dependent on baby steps, a lot of sliding and a good chuckle or two, I remember that God is really always in control. Sometimes, because I think the ground is solid and I think I know what I am doing, I am deluded into believing I am in control. I am not sure a little ice storm is a bad thing every once in awhile. I need reminding. I bet I have company.

No comments: