Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A welcomed smile


A year or so ago I had a friend go through a major and public trial. A series of bad choices were made and one thing lead to another and the end of the road there was a lost job, a marriage in serious trouble and eventually the loss of a home. It was a very sad story.

I knew the same details the rest of the community knew but no more than that. I was sorry and I prayed for all those involved. I wrote a note of encouragement and I reminded people when they would be ugly that there were always at least two sides to every story. A gentle reminder from time to time that all of us sin and fall short of the glory of God. I wondered why we never ran into each other, but we have not.

Until today. I ran into the spouse and I was so pleased to see a huge grin and a joyful pragmatic spirit. I was surprised but delighted to feel the sense of confidence and hope, the openness and trust in acceptance. Someone has loved them wonderfully well, how pleased I am for them. How pleased I am for those who have supported them. It is a wonderful way when the Body actually functions as it ought to, not turning a blind eye to sin but recognizing that unconditional love may correct behavior but does not cast off. This is true freedom to accept one's failings and begin to address them without fear of rejection. Gosh, this is truly grace in action.

Sometimes the most loving people look at the behavior of others, behavior that is painful and harmful themselves and those around them, and they feel justified in cutting people off or severing relations. This seems the proper response, throw out the bad apple before it spoils the whole bunch. I understand this philosophy. I just know it's not God's. Thank goodness. I would definitely have been tossed. I would have thrown me out any number of times. Instead God is the good Father who simply waits for us to turn back, and head for home. When we do, He is there to meet us, to cloth us royally and throw a party to celebrate our homecoming. We need to do that too. When there is a turning, we need to support that choice and help the transition. We may need to do some turning ourselves, it's good to practice. We need more than anything to call a sin a sin and call it to be stopped, addressed and resolved, but call the sinner brother, sister, fellow pilgrim.

So hats off to the faith family who took the public embarrassment and shame and let them be an opportunity to love this family through to the other side. I trust I learn from the example and shine the light. Is there an Olympic medal for excellence in discipleship?

No comments: