Saturday, June 7, 2008

A new day


I loved Anne of Green Gables. I thought it was an excellent book and I loved all the other Anne books. I don't know why exactly, maybe because her hair was red, or maybe they were so well written or maybe it was just written in a lovely setting in a lovely time and the people were delightful. There are books I read for comfort, they just make me warm and fuzzy and feel better about life. Anne is one of those books.

One of the Anne-isms I always loved was each morning was a fresh day with no mistakes in it yet. I like that philosophy myself. It is a nice way of living. Just think if that was truly the way we lived. At the end of the day we laid down our baggage, the stuff we accumulated during the day and in the morning it was gone, never to be found again. Those things that make us feel inadequate and inferior, laid down and forgotten, those things that tempt us to think we are superior and above reproach gone too. A new day, fresh start for us and for everyone we know.

I have always felt that about communion. I always leave communion feeling like I have been forgiven and I am starting again with no sin, restored and renewed. I grew up in a tradition that celebrated communion every Sunday. I personally like this, I need to get reset every week. Now a days we celebrate communion only once a month. This is not so good. I ought to be able to hold on a month but by the time communion rolls around, there is a lot to lay down. I think if we had communion weekly there would be more room for other people's stuff.

I have several times gone to another church for communion on Sunday evenings. It's a Taize worship service and it's small and very intimate and there are enough people to rest in the music and the silence comfortably but not too many so that I feel like I need to make room for much of their stuff. It's celebrated in a beautiful sanctuary where the sun dances through beautiful stain glass windows and everywhere there is beautiful woodwork, lovely windows and the prayers of the faithful prayed in that room for a hundred years. I love that vision, that we truly do live in the glorious reflection of all who have gone before us. Their faith, their prayers, their voices raised in praise, all have soaked the walls and the beams and remain in echoes with our own. Of course we can begin again when given such companionship.

Tomorrow is a new day. It's the chance to begin again, fresh with no mistakes in it yet. One day we will wake up to eternity where there will be perfection and the need for a new beginning will be a memory. Until then, what say we meet at the altar and lay all those sins down, and begin again forgive and restored.

No comments: