Friday, January 4, 2008

Generational Blessings


This year for Christmas my son Tim and his friends put together a concert for the church's Sunday night series. I was the typical mother in this. I am a detail person and he is a big picture person. So the detail person called often to check that the big picture person was remembering stuff, planning stuff, making phone calls. He sighed often and said things like "I got it covered, Mom". I gritted my teeth a lot and smiled big and prayed hard.

We called the concert Christmas in the Wires and it was the last in our Sunday night series. By week four the build up was pretty significant. We had three excellent evening prior to this and if Tim didn't feel the pressure, I know I did. All that tension built up and by Sunday evening I was about as tight as a drum. I was somewhat relieved when I realized the band was as tight as a drum too!

The concert began and each portion was better than the one previous. The musical choices were varied and by the time they got to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra pieces they had us eating out of their hands. The lights and the music were so cool and when the Chrismon Tree lit up in rhythm, I was so relieved and impressed I could have cried.

While the concert was amazing, what was such a blessing to me was the chance to see an Elijah/Elisha moment, only of course one of us didn't die. It wasn't the first time but it was a lovely reminder that we pass our faith and our gifts and our insights and experiences onto the next generation and they take those and add them to their own and the blessings truly do go on and on. I sat in that cloud of warm fuzziness that comes from answered prayer and a glimpse of the glory of God. I know by faith that God does what He says He will do, yet it is a divine moment when God lets me see His Hands. No wonder we are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses, to see the will of God unfold must be all consuming.

Remember the Sound of Music and the song they sing in the gazebo? Has a line "nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could, but somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good". Theologically, I have some issues with that, but today I see that God honors those who will make the commitment to live as His people. Lousy, fallen, broken people maybe, but none the less His. Isn't God awesome?

No comments: