Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Back to the basics


I hate grammar. I have always hated grammar. I hate sentence diagramming, identifying the subject and the verb and the rules about never ending a sentence with a preposition. I can't remember what a preposition is so I live in constant fear of this rule in particular (particular isn't one, is it?).

I love to read. I love to curl up with a book and let an entire day go by lost in the pages. I like nothing better than reading inspirational books, instructional books, gripping novels, magazines, cereal boxes. I love a good murder mystery, not the gory ones but the ones where people pop off neatly and you get to figure out which one is the killer. I like those books when you fall in love with the hero or heroine and they win in the end. I like to read stories that are written with humor and wit so that I laugh out loud over a passage. I like to read books where the author shares a revelation with me that becomes part of my faith journey. I especially love those books where I am inspired enough to be rabid about sharing the new thought with someone. It's the teacher in me, I suppose. Or perhaps it's just my need to be bossy.

So what does the love for reading and the loathing for grammar add up to? I will tell you the truth, it makes no sense. I love a well written book, but I don't really know what makes for one. I love a phrase that is so delicious it just rolls off your lips, but I can't tell you what elements went into making that so. This is foolishness. I am fully capable of understanding, I have just chosen to find that part boring and skipped over it to the fun part.

I had a long meeting last night about a worship training event and I realized I have been guilty of the same thing in worship. Until I went on a church staff I paid no attention to the elements of worship, I just worshipped. When I enjoyed worship I really didn't know why I did, or why I didn't at other times. Being a part of making worship happen has been eye opening for me. I see the subject and predicate and adjectives so much better and can see how, when they are present in the right order, they make the sentence delightful, and the worship inspirational. That is the goal of worship after all, to bring all of us together into the presence of God. Each part should assist in the flow.

I am going back and picking up some grammar. I am going to figure out how to be a word craftsman and write as well as I read. And I am going to take the time to understand worship and teach it so we can honor not only the practice but the purpose in taking ourselves to the throne of God. I am finally learning (do you hear the retired faculty of William McKinley Elementary School cheering?) that it's not enough to do it, it matters that we know why we do it, the purpose in each element and how we can do it intentionally.

Intentionally wasn't a preposition, was it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No mother, Particular is not a preposition... In, however is a preposition, which makes "in particular" a prepositional Phrase... You are more than welcome to end a sentence with a prepositional phrase... in fact, that makes it a "complex sentence."